Friday, February 12, 2010

Should I get a cat to get rid of mice? Have you done this? Does it work?

no! get an exterminatorShould I get a cat to get rid of mice? Have you done this? Does it work?
Not all cats catch mice. And I've never had a cat that ate mice, although every cat I ever had that caught a mouse would play with it and then leave it mangled in the middle of the floor or in front of a bedroom door as a ';gift.'; Totally gross.





I kind of agree with the above; if catching mice is your primary goal, get some humane traps or call in an exterminator. If you want a cat and mouse-catching is a bonus, I guess you can try your best, but it's not a guarantee.Should I get a cat to get rid of mice? Have you done this? Does it work?
You shouldn't ever buy an animal as a means to an end. Do you WANT a cat? Are you willing and able to properly care for it (vet visits, quality food, toys, your time and attention)? If not, go with mouse traps or something. You won't have to care for the mouse traps for another 15-20 years.
our flat was once overrun by mice. all because i didn't want to use chemical poisons, scared that my dog would ingest it and get poisoned. the mice traps didn't work. in the end, i had mice jumping in front of me in the kitchen while i was cooking and were running around the house at night. in the end, i did take rat poison. after a few days, less than a week, they were gone. touch wood, we've not had them again. i was told, for a dog of 12 kgs to die from rat poison, the dog would need to eat at least the equivalent of his body weight in poison. but my dog never really got to the poison because i made sure the poison was scattered in places where he can't get into. before you get the mice dancing in your living room, reach for rat poison now.





mice are not only vectors of disease, they can also chew on your electic cables and cause shortcircuits and eventually house fire. they may be cute, but don't get charmed by them.





cat's need care and feeding. not to forget visits to the vet. and they're not guaranteed to be good mice catchers.
Yes I have six cats and between them they have caught several mice's. The first kitten I got I found at the zoo brought her home and the very next day she caught a mouse. It works big time it is in their nature to hunt and they love to do it .
Even if a cat doesn't kill the mice the presence of a cat might help them seek another ';home';.





This has to be the poorest possible reason to get a cat unless you live on a farm. A shelter I know of in Ohio adopts out spayed and neutered feral cats to farms where there is a need to keep rodents under control.
It works


female cats are better


My MommyCat is a real killer!
Invest $5 in some traps. They are efficient and you don't have bills for vet - food - litter or house odor.
CATS DO GET RID OF MICE, BUT MOST CATS WILL BRING YOU THE MOUSE THEY HAVE CAUGHT AS A GESTURE OR A GIFT, AND THAT CAN GET GROSS. BETTER TRY STICKY TRAPS. THEY WORK GREAT AND YOU CAN GET THEM AT THE $ .99 STORE.
Nah ! Just put a dab of peanut butter on some glue traps and set them out.
even though you say you will take good care of the cat, if you let it eat the mice, who are ridden with diseases, this isnt very good for kitty
Yes, get a cat. I live near the woods, other people have rodents and I don't, I have a few cats and they keep the rodents away, I think a cat would do wonders for you. I don't even have insects from the woods, my cats are great all the way around. And they are great companions, too. Good luck.
I have always had a cat and there was a time that my area I was living in had a issue with mice, I didn't have one problem.ha ha. cats are great for taking care of the problem. By the way I am not laughing at the mice but rather the neighbours, they hated my cat. I love mice but only in cages. You can buy a humane trap too, but the thing is the mice are more than likely going to keep coming back. Cats are natures way of getting rid of the problem. Just so you know though cats love to play with the mice for a bit even once they made the kill and they like to leave them around for you. I know first hand.
Not all cats will do the job..Females are best but I'd still put out rat poison..You can buy the kind that won't harm humans it comes in blocks and you break off a little piece and place it near the hole they are coming in..

No comments:

Post a Comment