Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do ragdoll cats hunt mice/rats?

Hey, I've been planning on getting a ragdoll for quite a long time now.


%26amp; I was wondering if they hunt? i know those are cat instincts but i'm not sure about the ragdoll.





Thanks!Do ragdoll cats hunt mice/rats?
Yes, ragdoll cats do hunt, as it comes naturally. They are a very energy filled breed also. I don't have a ragdoll cat, but I do have a book that tells you every breed and their personality traits, origins, etc.Do ragdoll cats hunt mice/rats?
sorry I don't think im doing this right, only joined this to make this comment- I own two ragdolls (inside cats only!) one will jump to the top of a wall length cutain to catch a bug.. the other is not so active and bought me a mouse he caught - it was still alive he dropped it and it ran away.

Report Abuse



Valencia, I was just wondering, of course I would never be stupid enough to let an indoor cat roam outdoors, and i don't have vermins in my house, anyway i've gotten a siberian cat and he is very much like my friends ragdoll cat, he's not allowed outdoors either ( in the contract)

Report Abuse



To the best of my knowledge, all cats hunt. I suspect your question is ';do ragdolls catch and/or kill mice/rats?'; The answer lies with the kitten/cat's mother. If she taught her kittens the ';killing blow';, then yes. Sometimes, motivated by hunger, a cat can learn to kill with practice. Occasionally, a cat will ';play'; a critter to death, but that's not intentional. If memory serves me, leopards are the only instinctive killers (Wildlife magazine article long ago). If you have a cat and mice problems and the cat successfully hunts, be sure to get it wormed regularly and be aware that mice carry all kinds of diseases such as salmonella. I strongly recommend using some other method of pest control - it will most likely be cheaper than the vet bills. As mentioned, many, many breeders require indoor only cats, which hopefully limits their exposure to mice. purrs
Highly unlikely. They're very gentle, sweet cats. If you have vermin inside your home - call an exterminator.





I sure hope you're not thinking of getting a Ragdoll and intending to let it roam loose outdoors. First off, the contract with the breeder would forbid that. Secondly, the outdoors is very dangerous - especially for as laid back and relaxed a cat as a Ragdoll - it wouldn't last very long outdoors.





edit: hate to break it to you, Animal Luvr, but your cat is not a Ragdoll. It's a domestic longhair with pointed markings.
I DO have a ragdoll that hunts. She is totally gorgeous and sweet, she flops in your lap like a ragdoll, and she is very affectionate. Shes also an indoor cat but the second she sees any type of bug or anything move (even ones that I cannot see), she turns into a bouncing, excited little hunter. I also have an orange tabby who likes to catch bugs and stuff but she is by far more excited about it and better at it. She can't find real mice in my place but I do buy her fake mice and she brings them to me as gifts just like cats do when they hunt and bring back to their owners.





Not sure if they are all like that, but she is for sure.





She's a sealpoint ragdoll and they say that they're mixed in with Siamese in their past origin, she acts totally like a Siamese. She talks with her meows and when she hunts, she tells me that she brought something for me. lol





Heres her picture :)


http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv64/鈥?/a>


This picture is about maybe 6 months old. She went from 6 pounds to 12 pounds in the past 3 months after getting spayed.





Story of my ragdoll:





She was dropped off at the vet when she was only about 2 months old. Her owners filled out her paperwork and listed her as a sealpoint ragdoll. They left their name, address and phone number and said they would be back in an hour to pick her up. An hour later, no owner. So the vet called their phone number, it was disconnected. Long story short, they never picked up the cat. This was approximately 5 days after Christmas, so the vet suspected that she was an unwanted Christmas gift. http://www.rfwclub.org/seal.htm There's a link to sealpoint ragdoll cats. The first one on the left is like my cats twin. In the photo which I posted, I noted that she was only 6 pounds (and 3 years old) but after being spayed she began eating more and is now approx. 12 lbs. but I am guessing more like 13 now. I have no papers but evidence leads to her being a ragdoll. From her behavior, to floppy body, and docile personality, as well as her looks, I have to believe that shes a ragdoll as the original owners said she was. (not like they were making money off of her, they dropped her off for goodness sakes.) But either way, ragdoll or not, shes a great cat and I don't care if shes purebred anything. I also have a tabby whos a ex-feral cat. Makes no dif to me.
Why would you want that? i have a Siamese and i keep her inside safe from disease if she were to eat a infected mice or even a wild one she could catch worms or anything else the mice was infected with not a good idea but im 99.9% sure ragolls hunt mice sorry for getting out of the question(:
All cats are carnivores and hunt live meat if given the opportunity. It is their most basic instinct. My mother had a ragdoll that hunted every day of it's life and lived to ripe old age of 18 years.
all cats have the instinct but it depends but sometimes it depends on whether the cats parent taught them how to hunt and for some it comes naturally
All cats hunt mice. Don't let her out.
yes

No comments:

Post a Comment