Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I have pet mice they are still babies but I want to know at what age should I separate the boys from the girls

Mice can breed as early as 4 weeks.


Make sure you separate your babies (males from females) around 4 weeks so this doesn't happen (and inbreeding is not good either).


http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/breeding鈥?/a>





Here are some other helpful links on the raising of mice:


http://www.abc.net.au/creaturefeatures/f鈥?/a>


http://www.googobits.com/articles/p0-193鈥?/a>I have pet mice they are still babies but I want to know at what age should I separate the boys from the girls
dont separate them, if u dont want them to breed them give a few mice away.I have pet mice they are still babies but I want to know at what age should I separate the boys from the girls
once they're weaned from, which they should be by now, then you can sepererate them. Don't wait too long!!
Very soon, unless you want more mouse pups. Adolesence for rodents, (particularly mice and rats) begins around post-natal day 28 aka 4 weeks. Early adulthood occurs around 60 days post-natal. Now males and females mature at different rates and different strains of mice mature at different rates as well. Their diet, food composition also has effects on sexual maturation. If you are looking for a more precise time it depends on the combination of those factors and can happen anywhere between 28 days and 60 days. If you want to avoid more pups, I suggest separating them out sooner than later.





Also if you are concerned about removing them from the dam (mother) they will begin weaning around post-natal day 15 and begin to show solid food content in their bellies. In laboratories, weaning is often induced around post-natal day 21 and survive just fine. In the wild, the natural progession of weaning goes up to post-natal day 28.





Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment